Democracy is one of the available governments in Master of Orion II.
Democracy is considered a very strong form of government and costs you 7 race picks.
The democracy form of government is not a direct democracy in the classical Greek style, but rather a representative democracy similar to that of the ancient United States of America. Control of the government is balanced between its multiple branches, and the population enjoys the most personal freedom allowed under any of the known forms of government.
- -10% morale spy defensiveness.
- 4 turns to assimilate a unit of population in conquered colonies.
- Cannot eradicate enemy population in colonies.
- +50% to research and income.
- Losing your capitol means your entire domain is thrown into chaos and all colonies receive -20% morale until a new capitol is built.
Upon unlocking the advanced government technology, a democratic empire becomes a Federation:
- 2 turns to assimilate conquered population units.
- +75% to research and income
- An excellent government for a beginner; Democracies are extremely efficient at researching and building up wealth, allowing you to cut down on production times by simply buying what you need.
- The defensive spy penalty can be easily offset with the neural scanner technology.